My favourite tree
Here are some baselining activities to give children an opportunity to express what they already know and feel about the trees in their lives. This is a good initial whole class activity, though some parts can be done in groups or individually.
- Which is your favourite tree?
- Where is it located?
- Why is it your favourite?
- Do you like the fruit?
- Is it good to climb?
- Is it a shady spot to play and sit?
- Or do you have some other reason?
- Name the parts of a tree?
- Try to identify as many trees as you can by their local vernacular name, their English name and the botanical name. You may need to get help with this. Perhaps the school can obtain an identification book.
- Talk to members of your family and local people to find out all the uses made of the different trees.
- Write down all the uses of trees that you know
– ask friendly adults to tell you the uses that they know.
- Sit in front of a tree you find interesting and draw it as accurately as you can.
Below are some examples of what you could expect from children of different ages.